- This event has passed.
It’s Ewe Time! Dubbo
August 14, 2018@8:30 am - 2:00 pm
The Sheep Industry’s Popular Series of Forums
A half-day forum delivering practical tools and information to help sheep producers improve productivity and profitability. Speakers include Simon Vogt (Rural Directions), Geoff Duddy (Sheep Solutions), Matt Playford (Dawbuts), Ben Swain (BCS Agribusiness) and Hamish Dickson (AgriPartner Consulting).
- Meat & Wool Outlook – AWI will chair the forum and provide a brief insight into the market outlook for
both the sheepmeat and wool sectors.
- Managing Ewes in Dry Times – With limited paddock feed available throughout much of NSW, the nutrition
and management of pregnant and lactating ewes is crucial to maximise ewe and lamb survival and to manage lifetime productivity of the ewe. Hamish will discuss nutrition requirements and management strategies that can be put in
place to ensure a successful outcome.
- Maximising Lamb & Weaner Performance – Geoff will discuss the best practice management of young sheep, including
nutrition and health. Topics covered will include feed budgeting, the use of fodder crops and dual purpose crops, confinement and lot feeding, using genetics to best advantage and best practice sheep health.
- Measuring to Manage – There is a large amount of interest in the use of technology and measurement in sheep flocks. Ben will discuss the potential benefits of using individual animal management and recording to lift whole flock productivity, look at what is required to implement various technologies and discuss the cost:benefit of investment in collecting measurements and associated infrastructure.
- Your Sheep Health is Your Wealth – Best practice sheep health management programs are easily justified in times
of high commodity prices. Matt will discuss appropriate health treatments, along with best practice management strategies for tackling internal parasites, flies, lice and other locally significant conditions, including Ovine brucellosis.
- Effective Integration of Livestock and Cropping – Simon will draw on analysis of more than 100, multi-year farm benchmarking datasets from across southern Australia which identified the key profit drivers in sheep and cropping businesses. Simon’s presentation will define the performance of the top 20% mixed enterprise producers and explore what it takes to execute mixed enterprise well. He will discuss key profit driver benchmarks and critical success factors to successfully integrate livestock and cropping enterprises.