Farm Table says:
This article by Forbes discusses the agriculture sector in the United States and how emerging technologies might be able to reduce the loss of food production annually.
Key points were as follows:
- Investment in big data has risen substantially in recent years with the realisation that advances in big data technologies within the agricultural sector can have a huge impact on the industry and food production.
- Agricultural technology that is commonly used includes:
- Soil moisture monitoring
- Soil structure
- Water requirements
- Irrigation scheduling
- Fertiliser requirements
- Field mapping
- RFID electronic ear tag identification
- Crop yield
- UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles)
- “Big data in conjunction with the Internet of Things can revolutionize farming, reduce scarcity and increase our nation’s food supply in a dramatic fashion; we just have to institute policies that support farming modernization.”
- The future of big data in the United States needs to include 1) further investment 2) availability to all farmers and 3) increased data transparency.