Farm Table says:
This article talks about checking your bull to ensure he is ready for joining for the upcoming season.
Items covered in this article were:
• When to check bulls
• What should be checked on the bull?
• What can I check myself?
• What do I need a vet to check?
• Performance risks
Key points were as follows:
• Bulls can be checked before joining, after joining or after weaning.
• The following are suggested areas to look at when checking a bull:
1) Scrotal circumference
5) Mating ability
8) Social interaction ability
Most of these items can be checked by producers however vets can conduct a bull breeding soundness examination if required, the check covers all of the above items and gives you a full health examination of the animal.
• Annual check-ups of bulls are just as important as checking the health of the bull throughout the serving season to ensure he is still performing. Bulls can become injured or break down so it’s important to ensure any issues are identified early to minimize any production loss.