Highlights (Science Direct)
- The optimal start of flowering period (OSF) for canola has been identified across Australia.
- Sowing date x cultivar combinations that achieve OSF to maximise yields were identified.
- Duration and timing of the OSF varied with site and season but not with cultivar.
- OSF can guide breeders in developing new cultivars and agronomist in better management.
This publication outlines results on the effects of:
- stress on optimal start of flowering
- cultivar on the optimal sowing
- seasonal rainfall
As well as further discussion on:
- implications for sowing time
- the value of a seasonal climate forecast
- influence of biotic stress