Farm Table says:
This paper looks at the possibility of achieving ecological renewal while maximising productivity of livestock.
What did the research involve?
- Data from RCS benchmarking and business analysis
- Compared top 20% to the average results in N. Forest (Qld), N. Speargrass (Qld), Coastal Forest (Qld), Gascoyne Murchison (WA), NSW Rangelands and Mitchell Downs (Qld)
- Looked at case studies of producers in western Qld rangelands who have made changes over extended period.
What were the key findings?
- Top 20% very profitable. Even making profit in the worst year, compared to losses for the average group
- Cost of production largest driver of profitability in grazing industries
- Managers focused on amount of pasture leave behind, rather than what they take
- Hard data on ecological renewal is hard to find in commercial settings