Farm Table says:
This article talks about the introduction of electronic identification for sheep and goats in Victoria, what producers need to know and where they can find more information.
Key points were as follows:
- NLIS stands for National Livestock Identification System and it was effective in Victoria from 1 January, 2017.
- Watch the YouTube video on “transition to electronic tagging of sheep and goats” by clicking here.
- If you’re unsure of your responsibilities, Agriculture Victoria has put together a webinar to make it easy for producers. Click here to watch the webinar now.
- Over the last 10 years, the cattle NLIS has worked effectively in Australia to ensure food safety and quality so it is a positive intention that it will be just as effective for sheep as well.
- The on-farm benefits of electronic sheep identification include:
- Accurate identification of sheep
- Individual animal management
- Wool flock
- Meat flock
- Optimising meat and wool
- Parasite control
- Simple stocktake
- Further benefits and information can be found here.
- You can now order electronic tags online through Agriculture Victoria, click here for more information.