Farm Table says:
This is an annual publication produced by South Australian Grains Industry Trust, Primary Industries and Regions SA (PIRSA) and the Grains Research and Development Corporation.
The resource provides expected Gross Margins for broadacre cropping and livestock enterprises in South Australia in order to assist with enterprise decision making.
The concept of gross margins is introduced and the authors note that other factors need to be taken into account when planning, including:
- Appropriate level of income diversification.
- Adoption of right rotations, and attention to detail.
- Understanding and acknowledging comparative advantage.
- Meeting market requirements.
A summary of the 2018 Gross margins ($/ha medium case) are:
- APW Wheat: 315
- Durum Wheat: 321
- Malting Barley:309
- Feed Barley: 226
- Milling Oats: 160
- Triticale: 197
- Export Oaten Hay: 292
- Vetch: 188
- Lupins: 152
- Red Lentils: 366
- Lentils (Imi Tolerant): 289
- Field Peas: 170
- Faba Beans: 204
- Chickpeas (Kabuli): 399
- Canola – Conventional: 302
- Canola – Triazine tolerant: 185
- Canola – Clearfield: 239
- Sown Pasture: 335
- Self-Regenerating Pasture: 359
A summary of the 2017 Gross margins ($/DSE) are:
- Prime Lambs – High Rainfall: 44
- Self Replacing Merino Flock – High Rainfall: 65
- Merino Wethers – High Rainfall: 45
- Prime Lambs – Cereal Zone: 51
- Self Replacing Merino Flock – Cereal Zone: 64
- Merino Wethers – Cereal Zone: 35
- Prime Lambs – Pastoral Zone: 28
- Self Replacing Merino Flock – Pastoral Zone: 44
- Merino Wethers – Pastoral Zone: 29
- Cleanskin Sheep – Cereal Zone: 54
- Beef Cattle – High Rainfall: 28
- Beef Cattle – Medium Rainfall: 26
- Beef Cattle – Low Rainfall: 22
The guide also introduces strategies for maximising returns from individual enterprises in different areas of South Australia. These include storage of out of season soil water, maximising time of showing benefits and ensuring efficient fertilizer practices.
- Farm Gross Margin and Enterprise Planning Guide 2018 (PDF 5.3 MB)
- Livestock Gross Margin Guide 2018 (XLSM 797.8 KB)
- Cropping Gross Margin Guide 2018 (XLSM 3.0 MB)