Farm Table says:
This website goes through a list of 43 questions, which you then submit. You answer from your own perspective and you can then print your answers and discuss the results together as a family.
The questions refer to both generations.
- Has the senior generation communicated its intentions to children and their spouses?
- Is there a written ownership and management plan for the farm?
- Do you have a written or recorded history of the farm?
- Does the plan for the future preserve a viable farm or farm structure?
- Does the next generation understand the implications of bad yields and poor prices?
- Can the family discuss farm issues in a business sense, without becoming entrenched in family roles and patterns?
- Does the family talk openly and honestly about the farm – its future and its problems?
Once you submit your answers, you receive an assessment of your farm succession risk by the following categories:
- Preparation by the Senior Generation
- Preparation by the Next Generation
- Shared Vision: The Generation Together
- The Family Glue