Farm Table says:
This article outlines the nutritional value of various feeds used for cattle and how this information can assist producers manage according to their enterprise goals.
The items covered in this article are:
- Feed value
- Dry matter
- Grain – whole and rolled
Key points were as follows:
- Feed value comprises of the nutritional value of a particular feed.
- Energy and protein are the two most important nutrients in dry matter.
- Some dry matter may be low in other nutrients which can cause deficiencies such as calcium, magnesium, vitamin A etc.
- Excessive nutrients in some dry matter can cause poisoning and lead to reduced productivity.
- Grains that are rolled and fed to cattle have an increased digestibility of up to 30%.
- Click below to read the article for an informative table covering dry matter, energy and protein percentages in various common feeds.