Farm Table says:
What is the problem?
To develop a prosperous marketing program to farmers who manage on-farm grain storages, planning in the pre-establishment and/or the development process and monitoring the operation must be accorded. This article showed off the simple ways to follow based on a grain storage consultant’s perception.
What did the research involve?
Chris Warrick, a Grains Research and Development Corporation (GRDC) head, entailed pieces of information about maximizing the value of every farmer’s grain by initially starting on the condition of its on-farm storage.
What were the key findings?
● Warrick notified farmers that grain storage is a big commitment that necessitates long-term investment and a mathematical calculation to determine if it worked for them. Subsequently, if the calculated return is favorable, an investment can be carried out positively.
● Moreover, he apprised that it is the businesses’ distinctive features that leverage on-farm storage in several ways. As a corollary, a cost-benefit analysis for their operation must be practiced.
● By this means, the expected returns with the grain storage and expected returns from other business must be taken into careful comparison. Moreover, taking account of the cheapest on-farm grain storage rather than remunerating a bulk handler to store it is essential. The cheapest option is a storage that can certainly achieve the planned benefits.
● He added that value can be added if farmers create specified quality segregations unavailable in the bulk system and managing and maintaining a top-quality storage. Farmers should look at various forms of storage on furnishing its creativity and efficiency.
● In terms of marketing grain, consumers always sought the most well-made grain storage with the features of pest-free, high-quality, and undelayed services. To achieve these, planning the on-farm grain storage ahead is always vital and rewarding.
In totality, the overall productivity and profitability of grain marketing largely hinge on the design and management of its storage. Thus, a careful consideration must be apprehended to every grain storage to accumulate gratifying results.