Farm Table says:
This research work looks to answer the following questions:
- What is the grazing value of stubble?
- How does weather affect the feed value of my stubble?
- How do I manage grazing behaviour on stubbles?
- When should stock be supplemented or put into containment?
- What are my other options for grazing stubbles?
The paper presents the feed value of different wheat and barley stubbles:
The following takeaways are highlighted:
- Feed value will vary across a paddock and is difficult to measure.
- Feed quality is determined by the amount of residual grain and green plant growth.
- A guide for a productive stubble is one with at least 40 kg/ha of grain or green shoots, but condition scoring or weighing animals is most accurate.