Farm Table says:
This fact sheet covers muscle scoring beef cattle and the methods used to evaluate animals.
Items covered in this article were:
• Muscle evaluation
• Muscle scores
• Muscle score table, images and examples
Key points were as follows:
• Muscle is also known as the red meat component in a beef animal.
• Muscle evaluation should be conducted by experienced assessors however anyone can learn the skill by continual practice and advice from experienced assessors. Muscle and fat can be confused if the assessor is not trained.
• Eye muscle area is commonly used in estimated breeding values (EBVs) and is a cross-section sample. Whereas muscle score determines the red meat proportion of the animal.
• Muscle scores can be determined by the shape and size of the animal and scored from A – E, this also takes into account the fat score.
The best areas on an animal to observe muscle is the hindquarter, the round and the top line where there is less fat.
• To view the full muscle scoring table, to view images and examples, click here.