Farm Table says:
This article covers pregnancy testing in beef cattle and the essential information for producers to ensure high productivity in their enterprise.
The items covered in this article are:
- Calving reproduction in beef herds.
- Pregnancy testing.
Key points were as follows:
• High productivity in beef herds is classed as achieving a calving interval of 12 months, 95% calves weaned successfully and calving drop of a maximum 10 week period.
• Pregnancy testing can be done by veterinarians at an early stage of pregnancy (8-10 weeks).
• Pregnancy testing allows producers to separate herds, cull cows and make management decisions based on seasonal conditions.
• Pregnancy testing can also be conducted by ultrasound however associated costs are incurred with this method.