Farm Table says:
This article assists producers in reading a BREEDPLAN catalogue to ensure they understand how this online program can assist them with their beef production enterprise.
Items covered in this article were:
• Estimated breeding values (EBVs)
• GROUP BREEDPLAN
• How to use the catalogue and compare bull data
Key points were as follows:
• BREEDPLAN is a great place to check a bulls data to ensure they are the right fit for your breeding herd.
• EBVs are calculated based on the following:
1) specific animals data
2) all known relative data
3) other known measurements
They give producers an idea of a bulls progeny to see if a certain bull would be the right fit for their herd.
• GROUP BREEDPLAN is for breeders looking for specific EBVs within that breed or across that breed. Currently available on GROUP BREEDPLAN is Angus, Brahman, Limousin and Hereford.
• For an example of the catalogue and tips on how to compare bull progeny, click here.