Farm Table says:
This article discusses trial results of emerging technology in precision pastoral management tools (PPMT) for beef cattle on Glenflorrie Station in Western Australia.
Key points were as follows:
- PPMT technology has been trialled across five sites in the top end of Western Australia.
- “PPMT combines a weighing platform with an RFID ear tag reader and automatic drafting gate, all set up alongside a watering point.”
- Listen here from the people behind the PPMT technology.
- Producers are able to receive weight recordings via satellite technology which allows them to be aware of weight loss and weight gain retrospectively.
- This technology gives producers firsthand information on the paddock situation in terms of feed availability and target weight progress for specific markets.
- The PPMT system can be preprogramed by producers to separate cattle of a certain weight range into a separate yard that can allow them to be drafted and ready to be trucked without the manual inputs usually required in terms of mustering and labour.
- The satellite mapping function can also give producers feed mapping across the station so producers can effectively manage feed and weight control within their livestock.