Farm Table says:
This useful guide is for producers to be able to self-assess their enterprise for the purpose of animal production. It covers a lot of information so even the most experienced producers should be able to gain some tips to assist in their own enterprise.
Items covered in this article were:
- Land capability and condition
- Markets and marketing
- Managing reproduction
- Weaning and weaner management
- Managing nutrition
Key points were as follows:
- Land capability and condition is an important factor to ensure you are using your land to its full potential and not over grazing or under grazing. The self-assessment checklist for land capability and condition can be found on page 4-5.
- Markets and marketing is establishing your target market and ensuring you are operating your grazing enterprise to produce cattle that meet those specifications. The self-assessment checklist for markets and marketing can be found on page 8 – 9.
- Managing reproduction is a key profit driver in an enterprise, understanding factors such as cow condition, calving patterns, joining period, fertility diseases, weaning rates etc. will determine how profitable your enterprise is. The self-assessment checklist for managing reproduction can be found on page 14 – 16.
- Weaning and weaner management is just as important as managing reproduction as it takes into account the condition of the cow. Weaner feeding is just as crucial to ensure they reach their target specifications and the highest return can be achieved. The self-assessment checklist for weaning and weaner management can be found on page 18 – 20.
- Managing nutrition is an important factor in understanding weight targets, managing feed, managing feed supply and assessing livestock performance. The self-assessment checklist for managing nutrition can be found on page 23 – 25.
- Genetics plays a key role in the overall breeding program for your enterprise, a full assessment should be done at the start of your breeding program to ensure the breed you select meets all of the requirements needed to best suit your enterprise. The self-assessment checklist for genetics can be found on page 28 – 30.