Farm Table says:
This useful guide is for producers to be able to self-assess their enterprise for the purpose of people and business. It covers a lot of information so even the most experienced producers should be able to gain some tips to assist in their own enterprise.
Items covered in this article were:
- Business planning
- Business knowledge and skills
- Human resources
- Workplace health and safety (WHS)
- Chemical use and records
Key points were as follows:
- Business planning covers aspects of business goals and plans, property planning, financial risk management and succession planning whilst also planning the future direction of the business and managing ongoing risk and uncertainty. The self-assessment checklist for business planning can be found on page 5 – 6.
- Business knowledge and skills specifically focuses on business records, analysing business performance and business decision making. The self-assessment checklist for business knowledge and skills can be found on page 8 – 9.
- Human resources is vital in any business that employs staff, regardless if its size. Important factors of human resources include health and wellbeing of staff, two way communication, roles expectation, role responsibility, working conditions, training and development. The self-assessment checklist for human resources can be found on page 11 – 13.
- Workplace health and safety (WHS) has become more widely accepted over the past decade, it’s an important factor for both employers and staff to be aware of and ensure risks are effectively managed. The self-assessment checklist for managing workplace health and safety can be found on page 17 – 21.
- Chemical use and record keeping is an important factor for staff, employers and animal health. Any employer or staff that is using chemicals on farm need to be formally trained in the use and safe storage of chemicals to ensure safe work practices are maintained and health and safety on farm is maintained. The self-assessment checklist for chemical use and records can be found on page 23 – 25.