Farm Table says:
This article talks about the future of smart farming, digital and wireless technology and how big data will impact rural and regional Australia.
Key points were as follows:
- “Smart farming now, and certainly in the next 5 -10 years will be about our ability to communicate with, within and between farms. Connection and communication is the key.”
- Lamb discusses the three waves of the internet:
- Wave 1 occurred in the 1990’s and its purpose was to connect people to data.
- Wave 2 occurred in the 2000’s and its purpose was to connect people to the internet and social media.
- Wave 3 is yet to occur however its purpose will be to connect people to things “or more dryly, “machine to machine” communications”
- High speed internet demand in rural and remote Australia was three times greater than predicted.
- All of these advances will improve farm management systems, resource management and create greater efficiencies.