Farm Table says:
This fact sheet provides useful information on supplementary feeding principles for beef cattle to assist producers in feed management practices.
The items covered in this article were:
• When supplementary feeding should occur
• Supplementary feeding principles
• Results of supplementary feeding
Key points were as follows:
• Supplementary feeding should occur when dry feed is available for cattle to graze and supplementary feed is only required to provide nutrients to cattle.
• If no dry feed is available for cattle to accompany supplementary feeding, alternate feed solutions should be sought.
• When deciding on the type of supplementary feed, the type of existing feed should be taken into consideration. Dry feed usually requires additional protein and sulfur whereas short green feed requires additional energy
• More information on supplementary feeding can be found in the following links:
• You can find further information on supplementary feeding on any of the following fact sheets:
1) Primefact 307 Drought strategies for the livestock producer
2) Primefact 279 Drought hints for a beef cattle enterprise
3) Primefact 330 Grain poisoning of cattle and sheep
4) Primefact 331 Supplementary feeding of sheep