Farm Table says:
What is the problem?
This study aims to monitor “transformative technologies, which will change the way agricultural products are made, marketed and transported”.
What did the research involve?
This research involved looking at the various “stages of development” within these transformative technologies as “some are converging to create higher levels of integration in farm management”.
What were the key findings?
The key findings of this research indicate:
- “Agriculture will be transformed by new technologies
- Commercialisation of transformative technologies will occur within 5–15 years
- Application of technology will change farm operations
- Technology will change the skills needed in agriculture
- Development and convergence of technologies is occurring at a faster rate than regulation
- Public perceptions will need to be managed”
The use of sensors, artificial intelligence, gene editing, nanomaterials, robots, synthetic biology, internet of things and 3d printing will be upon producers before we know it. The more we can understand about these emerging technologies as they come to fruition will enable producers to make more informed management decisions.