Farm Table says:
This fact sheet focusing on 3D printing technology in agriculture is one of eight fact sheets in a series that look at various form of up and coming transformative technology.
The key points of this fact sheet:
- “A wide range of objects can be manufactured by 3D printing, from tools, parts and appliances through to food products and medical parts.
- 3D printing is an emerging technology and currently used for developing prototypes, producing medical parts and in education.
- 3D printing presents an opportunity to produce parts for farm machinery and infrastructure on demand, transforming the efficiency of farm operations.
- Agricultural supply chains could be shortened significantly with the use of 3D printing to manufacture products.
- The emerging stage of 3D printing technology, the often untested quality of printers and materials, and a lack of skills are major challenges for its adoption in agriculture.”
- The ways that 3D printing is changing agriculture includes:
- “More efficient farm operations
- Shorter agricultural supply chains
- New markets for agricultural products
- New skills in agriculture”
- The case studies included in this fact sheet are as follows:
- “Looking at the landscape and its water in a new dimension
- 3D printing puts lame horses back on their feet”