Farm Table says:
This fact sheet focusing on artificial intelligence technologies in agriculture is one of eight fact sheets in a series that look at various form of up and coming transformative technology.
The key points of this fact sheet:
- “Artificial intelligence is the development of software that combines problem-solving and decision-making to achieve goals through replicating the process of ‘sense, decide and act’.”
- Artificial intelligence “ is developed to be used by computers and machines”
- “Artificial intelligence will use data to improve the quality and clarity of decision making across all levels of the agricultural industry.
- The current lack of availability of quality data for analysis will limit the short-term return on investment in artificial intelligence for individual businesses.
- The number of low and middle skilled jobs in agriculture will decline as artificial intelligence automates operations.
- Liability and ethical considerations are the major policy constraints to adoption of artificial intelligence.
- Safety regulations will need to be developed for artificial intelligence that operates machinery autonomously.”
- The case studies included in this fact sheet are “Teaching machines to assess cattle condition” and “Machines do the thinking in horticultural tree crops”.