Farm Table says:
This fact sheet focusing on synthetic biology technologies in agriculture is one of eight fact sheets in a series that look at various form of up and coming transformative technology.
The key points of this fact sheet:
- “Synthetic biology is the deliberate design of biological systems and living organisms using the principles of engineering.
- Synthetic biology provides new insights into biological structures that will inform a range of applications to agricultural science.
- It will enable scientists to engineer biological organisms and systems beyond those possible with existing biotechnologies.
- Applications could include new control measures for pests and diseases, new crops, green fuels, and environmental and food processing monitors.
- The social acceptability of engineered and manipulated biological organisms involved in food production may be a challenge for food industries.
- Biosafety, biosecurity and ethical issues are the most significant policy and regulation issues raised by the use of synthetic biology.”
- The case study included in this fact sheet is “Manipulating plant production with synthetic biology”.