The Queensland Sustainable Fisheries Strategy 2017 – 2027 requires vessel tracking on all commercial fishing boats by 2020 to assist in the management of Queensland fisheries.
The objective of the Queensland Government Vessel Tracking Rebate Scheme is to help commercial fishers with the costs of purchasing and/or installing approved vessel tracking units on their commercial fishing boat(s).
Category A approved vessel tracking unit –maximum of $300, Category B approved vessel tracking unit – maximum of $750. The installation rebate is for the cost of a professional installation of an approved vessel tracking unit up to a maximum of $220.
To be eligible for assistance an applicant must:
- own a commercial fishing boat licence, commercial harvest fishing licence or a charter fishing licence
- have purchased a new approved vessel tracking unit after 1 June 2018 and before 31 December 2020
- for an installation rebate, installed the approved vessel tracking unit on boats authorised for use under a commercial fishing boat licence, commercial harvest fishery licence or charter fishing licence after 1 June 2018 and before 31 December 2020
- not have a licence which is suspended or held by way of temporary transfer
- have registered the unit on FishNet