GRDC has put together 10 important guidelines for early-sown wheat. These guidelines can increase productivity and profitability.
The 10 tips include:
- Consider your location
- Paddock selection
- Dry versus early sowing – know the difference
- Consider seed bed and stored soil water
- Don’t sow to early
- Use the right cultivar for the right sowing date
- Use the right winter cultivator for the right environment
- Protect crops from virus vectors
- Graze early sown crops if you want
- Adjust plant density and nitrogen fertiliser
The decision tree below provides a summary of the overall management package and a guide on how to get the most out of early sown winter wheat crops.